Preschool of the Arts is looking for a permanent director for the 2019-2020 school year.
Executive Director – Job Description
Preschool of the Arts, in Madison, Wisconsin, is searching for a dynamic Executive Director to lead the school’s mission to provide a Reggio Emilia-inspired learning community supporting a diverse student population. Since 1975, Preschool of the Arts has served the Madison community by offering a safe, inspiring, and inviting learning environment that fosters play and a connection to the natural world to its 200 children and their families. The Executive Director of the school will provide leadership, vision, and guidance to the school’s 60 staff members and help enrich children’s educational experience by guiding, refining, and implementing a Reggio Emilia-inspired curriculum. By working with families and communities throughout the Madison area, the Executive Director ensures that Preschool of the Arts offers a welcoming and engaging learning environment for each child and family. The Executive Director works closely with the pedagogistas and administrative team.
Responsible to: Preschool of the Arts’ Board of Directors
- Provide leadership and direction to Preschool of the Arts, including strategic development, planning and organization of the school’s personnel, activities, and facilities.
- Recommend policies, and procedures, programs, and budgets in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
- Develop and administer the school’s programs in accordance with the school by-laws and within the available budget.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Child Development, or a related field from an accredited college or university, or equivalent relevant experience. Preference will be given for Masters or other advanced degree in a relevant field.
- Expertise in school or non-profit administration, management, or leadership, with experience in a licensed preschool, childcare center, elementary school, or youth-focused organization preferred.
- Understanding of early childhood development, differentiated instruction, and development of curriculum responsive to the needs of students and the community.
- Ability to effectively run an organization including prioritizing the fiscal health of school in regards to student enrollment, community partnerships and fundraising activities.
- Effective interpersonal skills, public speaking, strategic management, and written and verbal communication;
- Classroom teaching experience in a licensed preschool, child care center, or elementary school.
- Understanding of and interest in the Reggio Emilia philosophy and the Work Sampling System, and a commitment to the school’s philosophy of integrating the arts (Music, Dance, Art, and Drama) into early childhood curriculum.
Physical Criteria: Stamina to actively supervise and engage with energetic staff and students in a dynamic environment. Environmental requirements include working indoors and interacting with hundreds of children and adults on a daily basis.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Preschool of the Arts provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Preschool of the Arts complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Preschool of the Arts promotes and supports an inclusive and diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer.
About Madison: Preschool of the Arts is located near Madison’s beautiful downtown isthmus area, where residents enjoy the city’s beautiful lakes, numerous bike paths, wonderful parks, and a plethora of fine arts experiences. Madison is also home to the University of Wisconsin. The university offers a host of community service programs, resources, and cultural events throughout the year. Madison is also experiencing increased attention to early childhood education with renewed investment in research, philanthropic support, and dynamic programs and community events.
Application Instructions: To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the email subject “Executive Director Application”. Accepting applications on-going. No phone calls, please. In your cover letter, please include a statement of your leadership approach and educational philosophy.